Monday, November 24, 2008

It's all in the details, baby!

I was given a link by my lovely friend Sharon today, sent from Jezebel.com, featuring false eyelashes. Not just ANY false eyelashes, extravagant, gorgeous, and some downright odd, false eyelashes.

I absolutely, positively, need these for going on the stage.

Okay, so it's hard to imagine this look working for a drag-king, but take it out of context a little bit. Imagine all the (fucking ridiculous, and most likely photoshopped) diamond makeup gone, the soft pink lips replaced with heaps of gold glitter, delicate cat-eye makeup usurped by jarring shades of green and gold, all topped with crazy cropped hair and the most outrageous (faux) fur coat you've ever seen.

Now tell me that isn't Ziggy or Gary Glitter material.

Okay, let's face it, I need these eyelashes for more than just the stage. I need them for my day-to-day life. Yes, I am the kind of person who will don feather eyelashes, skin-tight vinyl pants, and a pound of glitter to the grocery store. Maybe not just to the grocery store, but I don't bat an eyelash (feather-enhanced or otherwise) at doing seemingly mundane things while dressed to the nines.

The way I see it, the world is a stage. Not saying that the world is JUST a stage, or that the things we do aren't real, and don't have very real consequences. More like the age old, "life is not a dress rehearsal" type thing.

I mean, if I own delicious cocktail dresses and flashy suits, why not wear them for all they're worth?

No comments: